born without arms inspirational mother and son live to all


Lisa shares, “Mom just encouraged me to persevere and to never give up.”In spite of her disability she didn’t let anything stop her from following her dreams. She’s learned how to drive, competed in special Olympics, traveled the world and earned two degrees. She’s come a long way considering she was almost euthanized after her birth. Lisa’s story begins in Manipal, India.

She was born on September 8th1974 with no limbs. It’s believed that thalidomide; a drug her mother took for morning sickness during pregnancy was to blame. Her parents dropped her off at the Kasturba medical college in Kasturba, India. Lisa later learned that the head of pediatrics wanted to euthanize her.Lisa says, “He told his staff to give me half feedings, because they believed my body would weaken and die and I would ultimately die of a hospital infection.Dr. Kuruvilla George, a Christian objected. He traveled 37 hours by two buses and two trains with baby Lisa in a basket to the Ramabai Mukti mission. There she was given the name Manyata which in Marathi means “acceptance.” She lived there for 5 years until she was adopted by Marie Olson, the director of the Hope Town Christian school in Carmel, NY. She named her Lisa Manyata Olson.Lisa recalls, “Mom always said that what won me over to her was that she had seen a black and white picture of me winking and that seemed to warm her heart.”Now in a loving Christian home, Lisa accepted Jesus as savior at 5 ½ years old. Over the years, her mother taught her to take care of herself and enjoy life. Lisa still remembers their adventures.Lisa remembers, “One of my favorite memories of my mom was going sleigh riding. And I would sit on her lap. And she would be the one yelling, ‘ahhhhhhh!’ And I would lean back into her, sit on her lap, and put my head back and close my eyes.”Marie also taught Lisa how to persevere and was there to help her when her challenges became overwhelming.Lisa says, “She would talk to me. And just say well, you have a lot of blessings in your life. And to think of the positive aspects in my life.”Those loving words of encouragement would enable Lisa to take on obstacles for years to come. She’s completed her bachelors from Lee College in 1993. And received a master’s degree in communication at Regent University in 1999. Now a career services manager, Lisa gives credit to her mom for her success whom she lost in 2012 after she suffered for many years with Alzheimers.

0 comments Blogger 0 Facebook

Post a Comment

 
News nepal © 2013. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger
Top